Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Native Soil

There She Is

Karen was a woman who wore stylish
linen suits to work and chunky turquoise

jewelry sometimes or a string of pearls
and navy T-shirt dress whose hem would
skim the floor, but for the three-inch
heels she wore; and she adorned her
office and herself with clever pieces from
boutiques — a long silk scarf in pink pastel
tossed on with casual elegance, one turn
around the neck above a crisp, white
cotton shirt and Levi’s... plain clay
saucers, different sizes, meant to set your
plant pots on, were coasters,
paperweights, and places to put odds and
ends... and sturdy woven baskets, long
before the world discovered them, wore
large, neat labels: “Out” and “In.”


She always took the summers off — her
husband was the Dean of Men — they had
“a little place” somewhere in Ireland, it
might have been a castle or a pub. She
loved it, that was all I knew, and though
she lived with such élan and dressed with
flair and ingenuity and didn’t care what
anybody thought, and was so kind and
always took me to the symphony and then
for drinks at Hickory’s to celebrate my
birthday, and adored ballet and was a
friend of Balanchine and once, at least, I
know she went to Moscow for a
weekend... not that she was ever sickly, I
don’t think she missed a day of work in
fifteen years, but toward the end of May
she’d summon up, from God knows where,
this superhuman energy and raucous joy,
and, “There she is,” I’d think, though I
could not have told you what was missing.
It’s as if you’ve never seen a flower, and a
coral-tinted rosebud shows up one day at
your door;
you’re overcome;
you vow to

treasure it forever,
and the morning after,

all its petals have unfolded and you stare
in wonder at it: “There was more?” you
say in bafflement. And that was Karen, all
at once unfolding like a rose.


There are those who never grow quite as
they should except in native soil, and I
suppose when Karen first met Ireland,
there was sudden recognition, something
like immediate addiction to a sense of
place she’d not have felt the lack of till
she had it. I confess I’ve felt the tug of it
myself, from elsewhere, who can say? I’ve
yet to learn. It happens when the sun is at
a certain slant, the trees throw shadows
out, just so, and something beckons in the
wind, a scent, a sound, except I don’t
know which direction it would have me go,
but, oh, I yearn for it and grieve as if I
know the thing I’m grieving for, and all this
in the time it takes to breathe one breath,
inhale, exhale, and while you’re at it have
a brief encounter with a universe outside
of time and space where words are
weighty and irrelevant. But it’s the poet’s
job to make the poem speak if not the
words, and so: There is a place I’m meant
to be and it will find me or I’ll stumble
over it, and then I’ll know that I’ve come
home.

(And no, it isn’t death or heaven, not as
strong as premonition, not as vague as
funny feeling, not an ache but more a sort
of itchiness, as if I were a migratory bird,
instinctively aware of season, storm, and
course; a kind of magnetism, I suppose,
and only wish I knew which way is north.)

1 comment:

  1. NOTES TO THE ANDERSONS (THE HONOREES!)

    My experiment is working! (Re poetry as meditation)

    THIS poem ("Karen" is a composite of 3, maybe 4 women) started out to be about always having flowers and treating yourself the way you want to be treated, kind of in a Martha Stewart way, but it took a sharp left somewhere and ended up being about nostalgia for the security of childhood, which I have heard discussed in reference to love of the Land, being drawn to the Earth (the archetypal mother) and also as "homesickness for heaven."

    So it started out mundane and ended up metaphysical.

    For about an hour I just ached for Mom and Dad and childhood and permanence... like Lili in the musical CARNIVAL, who "came from the town of Mira... where everybody knew [her]... name." Almost as good was being married and the mother of young children, who keep you too busy to speculate on the nature of Life and Death in the Universe because your chief concern is getting ALL the honey out of the carpet so the ants will go away. With my dearest friends just a few blocks away, in a lovely, quiet town, there was nothing more I wanted. That's when a person tempts the gods and ends up in some place like, oh, the desert.... Love to you... M

    ReplyDelete