Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bombed Mom on a Summer Afternoon



Still Trying to Get Comfortable

Before I learned to walk or talk,
I knew when all was well. It had to do with
certain smells: The best was aromatic pipe
tobacco—that meant Dad was home, content,
and settled in. I wouldn’t have to turn my face
away when Mama picked me up and held
me. Other times I did; the nauseous odor of
her breath repelled me when she’d had too
many cigarettes and too much wine.

There were reliable well-being and a
tasty lunch and hugs and kisses in the
smell of just-pressed shirts. I
could find Alma if I crept downstairs to where
we kept the mangle iron. (She bunched the
dampened sheets, all clean and white, into
the pillowcases, placed the bundle in the
freezer overnight, and said it made the
ironing go at twice the speed.)

If I smelled something in the oven in the
middle of the day, I thought that Alma might
be baking me a cake. It wouldn’t be my
mother’s flaky biscuits, not so early. Now I
know they were delicious; then I wanted
batter from the bowl to taste and frosting to
lick off my fingers.

I had learned to tell the comfort smells from
inauspicious ones, which made me get a
stomachache. I felt the fisting of my gut begin
when certain of my mother’s friends came by
for lunch. These were the ones she drank
with sometimes in the afternoon. I must have
found it terribly confusing, since I loved these
women too—they were sophisticated,
beautiful, and no doubt bored, since they
were overeducated for their mommy jobs, or
so they thought. They should have
volunteered more.

I adored them, even when
the air grew thick with stale wine and fetid
smoke and no one noticed when I went to
bed without a word and if I cried nobody
heard, and so I learned to be afraid of other
things because I couldn’t bear for it to be my
mother’s irresponsibility I feared, and even
then I knew that it was more than that, a
gnawing at the core of sanity. The day would
come when I would love and trust her more
than anyone on earth, but not until I’d
suffered as she did and saw her as a daughter
sees a mother still, but through a mother’s
eyes. More than forgiven, she became my
inspiration and my anchor. I thank God for
that. But some things one cannot forget; a
child who hasn’t had her second birthday yet
should not have been expected to be wise.

Sometimes, if it were one of Alma’s
afternoons, that dear good woman, who
had taken on the raising of her eight
or nine grandchildren, would put aside
her vacuuming and come into my room and
rock me in her arms and sing like a piano out
of tune, but she had such a soothing manner,
she was Mother Earth. I’m sure she weighed
two hundred pounds; I heard she wasn’t
even half that when she died.

One evening at the dinner table—I was still a
few months shy of four—our mother told us
Dr. Anderson had warned her, no
more alcohol. I cried for happiness. I
wish someone had said to me,
“Don’t count your chickens yet.”

A week raced by, and every night was better
than the one before, with games and books and
roasting marshmallows, The Shadow on the
radio. Ten days, two weeks had passed. I
finally let myself relax, an hour or so before
the sucker punch that caught me napping.

Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can—I saw it in her
hand as we were tidying the dining room,
and I began to protest,”Mom, the doctor
said—“ but then she brushed me off: “He
didn’t say I couldn’t have a little something
now and then,” defensively. I lost my
innocence, you might say, in a quarter-
minute’s condescension. I don’t think she ever
saw it as betrayal, even through the troubles
that still lay ahead. The gates clicked shut
that day. I’ve long since lost the switch.

Disappointment is a fact of life that proffers
lessons every child must learn eventually,
but not with such insidious brutality, not
a child of three, illusions dropping
like the tears she shed, and never, dear God,
never at her mama’s knee, with her the
object lesson: “Here’s what
not to do, my dears.”




Annagrammatica's Hip-to-the-EnvironmentGreeting Cards: 100% recycled, PCF, 5-1/2 x 8-1/2,
only $2.25, free shipping if you pay via PayPal....
FATHER'S DAY is June 20
Mention "Anna's Poetry" on your order form and
when you buy 1 card you'll get 1 free -- no limit!


Top photo and 2nd photo (atrium) by
vnwallpapers.com


Visit AlphaInventions.com to see a universe of
blogs across the web, plus blogging help and ideas

1 comment:

  1. NOTES to the "honoree" (the lifelong friend to whom this poem is dedicated)...

    Allowing for poetic license, the poem still seems unnecessarily tragic. Lots of kids have horribly abusive parents, or no parents. Hard to feel sorry for a little girl who was served lunch Tuesdays through Thursdays by the maid and whose mother was actually a very lovely woman who got very effective help for her depression and finally did stop bingeing forever.

    But I started THIS particular blog for discipline and meditation.
    So every day I sit down to write and when I'm done I see what I've learned about myself. The part about the smells is interesting and really does come from my pre-verbal days.

    But the "betrayal" part really was a hammer in the gut. I remember it so well and how from that moment I hated my mother, really hated her until I was a teenager. I can trace childhood despair and anxiety to that very incident. And I was like an only child in how I felt, because my sister and brother were older and less vulnerable.

    I felt like two people-- a normal, happy kid, an eager learner at school, during the day, but late in the afternoon I'd start to worry about the evening and the night and be terrified, even after everyone else was asleep.

    The usual culprits who drank with Mom in the afternoons deteriorated horribly, one in particular, over 5 or 6 years and finally made my own mom look pretty good to me.

    Well. So then, a few days ago, I decided to dedicate each poem to someone but to not choose the person until the poem was finished, and then I'd know who it was supposed to be, somebody who was somehow connected with the poem and who was important to me, and today, Bucko, it's VOUS.

    The poem for the 19th, about "Karen," started out to be about always having flowers and treating yourself the way you want to be treated, but it took a sharp left somewhere and ended up being about nostalgia for the security of childhood (oddly enough), which I have heard discussed in reference to the Land or the Earth (the archetypal mother) and also as "homesickness for heaven."

    ...
    I love you hugely, DF. --MF

    ReplyDelete