Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lost Days


God, grant me strength and energy
to do what I must do, efficiently,
the heart to do it lovingly, and finally,
the creativity and inclination
to do it with imagination.

Entropizing

It’s been years since I had a lost day. Now
the universe is saying, “Girl, take this day off, don’t
even wash your face or do the dishes if you’d rather
not.” I’d rather, though, unless the pixies happen to
drop by. The trick in kicking back is having your
environment in order first, and brush your teeth, at
least. Then you can pour your glass of wine and find
the chick-book you’ve been hoarding to reward
yourself with. Dammit, dammit all to hell! Your
plants are crying out in agonizing thirst. NO CURSING,
PLEASE, ON LOST DAYS; it conveys frustration when you
need uninterrupted relaxation.


How much chaos can you tolerate? Myself, I
wouldn’t dream of dusting, but I am uncomfortable
with reams of paperwork in baskets, bins, and
boxes, mixed with unmatched socks and unpaid
bills and scraps with numbers scrawled upon them
that don’t ring a bell, and balls of rubber bands
and, oh, I hate this, batteries.

You have to grant yourself permission for a lost day
to be truly given up to self-indulgence. If things left
undone are pulling at you, if the sun is gently
shining and you pine for outdoor exercise, then
you’d be wise to wait a day or two; do what you
have to do. You can’t begin a lost day in the middle.

Unless you’re sick, or think you might be. That’s a
strategy that works for me. I have these quirky
medical conditions, such as, I don’t have a spleen,
which means I have impaired immunity and need
to rest a lot and drink some chocolate sauce out of
the bottle if there’s no ice cream. But while I’m
doing that, the chance is high I’ll notice ants
around a microscopic crumb; it won’t be long
before they’ll sense that there’s a feast for hundreds
of them and their cousins, in the sink, and there go
my intentions for the morning; ants won’t be
deterred with verbal warnings.

And, of course, you see, I would have
A.D.D. (attention-deficit disorder); in a sense,
all days are halfway lost, what with the wandering
off the path to look at buttercups or phlox or little
woodland creatures or to take a nap, and then the
yanking myself back. I must take full advantage of a
focused moment when one chances by. Damn!
There it went, and yet another day misspent.


No. For I could count a thousand ways in which
today I made a tiny
difference.



Toothbrushes: VNWallpapers
Green soap: VNWallpapers
Woman drinking wine: VNWallpapers
Rabbit: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Find sample blogs on a gazillion topics at Alpha Inventions



Websites by Annagrammatica from $149

No comments:

Post a Comment